Friday, September 19, 2008

Week 5 Reading Responses

Webb's article on YouTube and libraries seemed a bit over enthusiastic to me. I just don't get that these two entities should really have a strong relationship, they're not that compatible to me. Perhaps its because I've never directly used YouTube that I don't see how it could really benefit a library. Is it because I don't use this tool that I wouldn't think of it in relation to a library? If I wanted to see what a libraries got in it's catalog or how it's physically laid out, then I'd either view the catalog online or go there myself. And who's going to do the YouTube for the library? With all the funding issues we continuously hear about in library school, what library has enough resources to allocate some to this venture? Hello volunteers!

I loved the imaging Pittsburgh project and thought it was a really interesting article to read. What I found most striking is that all of the different organizations were able to work together to get the images out there. I took a look at the actual website and it was interesting. Looking at photos from the 1800's seems very surreal, I look at them and it's like they're fakes because they're just so different than posed photos of today. I was also happy the article was not technical, but more oriented to the overall project itself. It's neat to see skills we're learning in the course being used for "real" projects.

1 comment:

Jonah said...

I think you're not having directly used youtube could be the source of your confusion. Although I agree that these two sources don't necessarily go together, but not because one if a video viewing site instead it is because it is a private company that retains rights to all the content loaded onto its site. But having videos about the library like where it is, how to get around the library etc can be very useful for new students, particularly so if they are non-english speakers and you produce videos in there native language.

They can also be good teaching tools, for patrons unable to attend instruction sessions etc. But the problem i see with it is that once you load it onto the website it is no longer exclusively the libraries, but that can be problematic if google wants to use your information for profit not in line with your interests.